Moving Forward. Step by Step – The Telekom Austria Group presents interim review on the path to sustainability
Jul 28, 2016
Vienna, 28 July 2016
- Sustainability Report 2015/2016 published
- Review of CSR Targets 2015
- New goals for 2018 as a pointer to an even more sustainable future
"We consequently take the road of sustainability. Step by step with clearly defined targets and performance indicators, helping us to measure our improvements", says Alejandro Plater, CEO Telekom Austria Group, referring to the current sustainability report. "With this latest issue we are summarizing the targets we have set up in 2012 and the CSR set of objectives of 2015. We have achieved significant milestones. Some of the targets have been overachieved, others are within reach. Almost 93,000 participants joined our "Internet for All" media literacy lecture. The female share in the company was increased to 38%. The improvement of the group wide energy efficiency by 72% pleases us a lot. In terms of sustainability, this is not a final result. It is starting point for new and even more focused and ambitious targets until 2018".
Sustainable Marks in Four Action Areas
Building on the three-pillar model of sustainable development "people, planet, profit", the Telekom Austria Group’s approach to sustainability management includes social, ecological and economic aspects. The sustainability strategy focuses on four action areas "Network & Customers", "Environment", "Employees" and "Society". These are derived from a new materiality analysis carried out in 2015 with the involvement of stakeholders and clear goals and specific key performance indicators were defined for each area.
- In the action area “Network & Customers” massive investments in network infrastructure and the development and implementation of innovative future technologies (e. g. G.fast, vectoring, LTE Carrier Aggregation …) were made as part of efforts to accelerate broadband expansion. Parallel to this, the product portfolio in the healthcare, education and administration sector was optimised and marketable innovations were promoted via start-up initiatives. The promotion of climate-friendly solutions and measures to increase customer satisfaction rounded off the initiatives in this area.
- With a 72% increase in energy efficiency, the 20% target in the action area “Environment” was significantly exceeded. The Group also exceeded its targets of improving its recycling rate by 10% and increasing its e-billing rate to 50%, by 16% and 69% respectively. Although in-house paper consumption was cut by only 3% instead of the targeted 10%, this was due to corporate acquisitions and growth in the customer base.
- The topic of equality yielded a positive development in the area of “Employees”. With 35% of women in managerial positions and 38% across the Group as a whole, the defined target of 35% for both categories was reached or exceeded. The high engagement index was maintained and international exchange and the transfer of know-how was intensified.
- In the action area “Society” almost 93,000 people had taken part in media literacy training programmes as part of the “Internet for All” initiative by the end of 2015. The target figure for 2016 is 100,000. In addition, partnerships and social projects geared to local needs were expanded.
The Telekom Austria Group’s sustainability report complies with the requirements of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 "comprehensive" as well those of the UN Global Compact for a progress report.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.