Future of the mobile industry: a reality check from Mobile World Congress 2018
Mar 7, 2018
Oyster Bay, New York - 06 Mar 2018: ABI Research, a market-foresight advisory firm providing strategic guidance on the most compelling transformative technologies, had several of our research analysts on-site at Mobile World Congress 2018 in Barcelona, Spain, between Feb. 26-March 1, 2018.
ABI Research has compiled 13 quick reads, focusing on the most compelling transformative technologies, that highlight the “Future of the Mobile Industry: A Reality Check From Mobile World Congress 2018.” Our analysts’ perspectives help strategically guide our clients to see the bigger picture and act on it now.
MWC 2018 left many of the analysts at ABI Research deeply concerned about the future health of the mobile ecosystem and the Mobile Service Provider (MSP) community. There is a growing chasm between what MSPs should be doing versus what they are doing and can do.
Here are some noteworthy observations:
- It’s about solutions not technologies : MSPs are not simplifying the decision tree for potential customers but rather complicating it and slowing down market momentum.
- Digital transformation is more than a technology drive: It’s a complete end-to-end process that touches IT, operations, human resources, management structure and corporate culture.
- MSPs can’t talk vertical language: There is a fundamental disconnect between how MSPs communicate and how potential vertical market customers outline needs.
- There is no killer business model : MSPs have an unnatural fixation with killer apps and business models. There will be no single model for 5G.
- More partnerships needed, can’t build it alone: MSPs need more partnerships than ever to build a competitive technological ecosystem-based solution while at the same time, correctly exposing their capabilities to prospective new clients.
In the report, Future of the Mobile Industry: A Reality Check From Mobile World Congress 2018, reality checks are made for the following compelling transformative technologies:
- AI & Machine Learning
- AR & Mixed Reality
- Digital Security
- Handsets & Devices
- Location Technologies
- M2M, IoT & IoE
- Mobile Network Infrastructure
- Robotics, Automation & Intelligent Systems
- Smart Cities & Smart Spaces
- Smart Manufacturing
- Telco Cloud Platforms & Digital Transformation
- Video, VR & OTT
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & Wireless Connectivity
Download the complete report at https://www.abiresearch.com/pages/future-mobile-industry/.
- Discover the Winners and Losers in the “[Telco Innovation Benchmark Executive Summary](https://www.abiresearch.com/pages/telco-benchmark/?utm_campaign=MWC Reality Check&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_eKzkF_zlLeihTCVneNvQnBNFSaQbCn2lq0LD4LpekRXxFLqvdo3sV3p-Rz7m3rZXqz0Le)”
- Learn “[What Telcos Need to Know Now to Maximize Today’s Digital Transformation Opportunities and Secure Their Future Position in the Digital Domain](https://www.abiresearch.com/pages/what-telcos-need-know-now/?utm_campaign=MWC Reality Check&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_eKzkF_zlLeihTCVneNvQnBNFSaQbCn2lq0LD4LpekRXxFLqvdo3sV3p-Rz7m3rZXqz0Le)”
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.