Will 5G standards deliver on time?
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5p5S0-Ine0s?modestbranding=1&rel=0" width="970" height="546" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Exclusive Video Feature
The telecoms industry is well on the way to defining the new standards for 5G, but it has quite aggressive self-imposed timescales. So will these deadlines be met? Do vendors and operators have faith that the incredibly complex but essential standards process will deliver all the necessary elements on time? The pressure is well and truly on the 3GPP to work through the many components of the 5G standards process, to enable vendors and operators to rapidly respond to technology developments and start trialling aspects of 5G. At the same time, a 5G future not built on robust, global standards is unthinkable to the telecoms industry. And all the while, the politicians are ready and waiting to start the necessary legislative work to support commercial deployments.
- Enrico Salvatori, SVP & President, Qualcomm Europe
- Hossein Moiin, EVP & CTO Mobile Networks, Nokia
- Graziano Bini, Head of Wireless Access, Engineering & Devices, TIM
- Erik Guttman, TSG SA Chairman, 3GPP, and Consultant, Samsung
- Ioana Surpateanu, Senior Advisor, European Parliament
Filmed at: 5G World, London, 2016